Sunday, January 4, 2015

Let There Be Hair!

Happy New Year, friends! Hope everyone finds 2015 treats them better than 2014 (even if '14 was a good year for you). I, for one, am determined to have a much better year. Let each day be better than the last!

I have a surprise! Ok, for some it's not a surprise because I've been obsessing about this for months. I finally went ahead with it. I GOT A WEAVE!  The super short, super curly hair was not for me. Each look in the mirror made me want to take down all the mirrors in my home. I just don't want to see my reflection and have CANCER looking back at me. So, I changed it up. 

Doing this felt a bit awkward and a lot empowering. I did a lot of research, and it seems that weaves aren't all that much different than extensions, and better suited for my needs and budget. I did cheap out a bit on the hair (they're called wefts) because I was unsure of the outcome or how long it would last. If I do this again (which is likely) I'd probably get better quality hair and lighten up a bit more.  I went with hair that is 2 shades lighter than my natural growth and it still looks very stark, very dark for me. I'm sure going from next-to-no hair to lots of long hair, along with the dark color which I am not used to, will just take some getting used to. Also, my stylist (Ommo, a beautiful, young woman from Senegal) told me I had to have some "leave out" where I would naturally part my hair. Those short curls aren't blending so well with the long curls of the weave, so we tried a lot of gels and sprays which just made the hair look slick and flat. I came home and messed with it a bit. I think it will end up looking great, but there is a learning curve and I've got some learning to do. 


2 comments:

  1. You rock, Kara.
    Love your hair short! Love your hair long!! You look amazing either way.
    Love you!!
    Keep sharing pix as you style it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so incredibly beautiful with, or without hat. But I do love it! And you! So inspiring, to me, and so many others. Love you and honored to share our name and friendship!!!

    ReplyDelete