Thursday, December 26, 2013

Post-Mastectomy News

Hi friends. I'm still recovering, managing pain and trying to wrap my head around this cancer diagnosis. Even now, after my breasts have been removed, I'm still waiting to wake up from this nightmare.

I'll be honest, I've had more sadness and fear than confidence and strength in the past week. I'm working on turning that around, but for now, some sad days and lots of tears, frustration, anger.

I was excited to have 2 of the 4 drains removed just days after my surgery. The drains are super annoying and anytime the move against or pull away from my skin, they hurt. There was some immediate relief from the removal of the first two drains, but the others are still troublesome. At least things are moving in the right direction and I am healing. I'm hoping the remaining 2 drains will come out on Monday morning.  I was told the removal of the drains wasn't painful. I don't know who told that lie!  Ouch!  It happens quickly, but made me cry out loud, which I hardly did giving birth to my daughter.

I got to cruise around Costco in a motorized cart. I'm simply too tired and weak to push a cart around the store (probably should've been at home, but really needed to stock up on fresh/organic produce for juicing). The carts are a nice perk, y'all.

We met with the oncologist on Christmas Eve. The news was mixed. The good news, that the remaining 7 lymph nodes weren't involved, was overshadowed by the surprising news that the tumor was 5.5cm. 1.5cm larger than they initially thought. This means my final grade/stage determinations are Grade 2 (speed of reproduction is 44out of 100), Stage 3a (based on size and minor lymph node involvement).  My Oncatype Dx Score was 29, which placed me on the high side of intermediate risk for recurrence (31 is high). I was advised that based on my Oncatype score, I have approximately a 20% chance of recurrence. Recurrence of breast cancer is not likely to have a good outcome, so our task now is to figure out and do whatever is needed to minimize that recurrence risk. That means chemo, and the nasty one at that.  Unless something changes in the next week or so, I'll be starting an 18 week cycle of TAC chemotherapy. I have to have a MUGAScan before starting to test the function of my heart because the "A" in TAC can cause heart failure and deadly secondary leukemia.
TAC chemo should reduce my recurrence percentage to 9-10%. I'm having a small surgery to place the power-port on the 10th. They'll use the port to give me the chemo infusions.

Dr. Weinberg and Dr. Kotz are going to bring my case to the tumor board once again for some final recommendation on radiation (and TAC vs TC, but several oncologists in his practice have already agreed with the TAC recommendation). I have an appointment to meet with a radiation oncologist. If it is truly necessary (will significantly reduce recurrence chances), radiation will happen after chemo (everyday for a month). Dr. Kays wants radiation to wait 8 weeks after chemo so he has a chance to finish my reconstruction and I can heal before they radiate my skin (which can cause the reconstruction to fail due to issues with healing). Dr. Kotz also mentioned he's presenting my case at a conference (wish I could attend, I love conferences!).

So, that's the news. Sorry if it isn't clear or well-written. I'm so exhausted from not sleeping well, over-doing it on a regular basis (because I am stubborn and can't stand laying around in bed all day), emotional exhaustion and the foggy feeling I get from Oxy.

Hoping all had a merry Christmas!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment