Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Shave


It is foolish to tear one's hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness.  ~Cicero


Did you know you need an Rx for a wig if the insurance company is going to cover it?  Here's how it reads:







After waiting out the icy roads for days, I finally made it to Sheila's Wigs for my fitting. Of course, part of that process was to shave off any remaining hair. It was emotionally challenging to get through this, but by the time we left Sheila's, I didn't feel so terrible after all.


Here's the video of Sheila shaving my head. I'll warn you that it's hard to watch; I cry and I look like a cross between a Dalmation and the "Stop the Insanity" lady. Or maybe more like G.I. Jane?  Anyway, it's not pretty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxluRwYZ-RU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzjO1MJu_-_MpH7mnB1JsPg


Now, I know you are all wondering which wig won (how's that for alliteration?!). Drumroll, please.......





Wig #1, with some minor changes to the style, won the day.




BUT....
While we were there, I tried on this wig (and kind of fell in love).  I wasn't 100% sure about the color. It looks blonder in person than in this picture. Sheila is ordering the same one in that reddish brown (from Wig #3 that everyone loved) and I'll go back in a couple of weeks to decide.




Sorry to disappoint those that voted for #3. It was really pretty but I couldn't deal with the short bang.


And while I'm at it, I want to share with you the kind of levity my wonderful husband brings to all of those anxious appointments.


Here's Doug at the wig shop:
Shall we vote on his hairpiece too?  Lol!

And here he is at the Plastic Surgeon's office, where I nearly lost it at the idea of the huge needle piercing me for the first fill of the expanders...






He looks good, even in a pink paper gown =)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are beautiful, even bald! I know it's probably hard to see right now, but down the road watch this again. Look at how incredibly beautiful your eyes are, and your cheekbones! :) I cried watching this, my heart still hurts for you, but you are the epitome of amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both these two wigs look so natural! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both wigs look great on you! I vote GI Jane because you are one tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I love the wigs, but they take some getting used to, and with stubble still left on my head, they are itchy! I guess everything just takes some adjustment. I'm having a hard time feeling beautiful, at least physically. Hoping that will come in time. Meanwhile, thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete