Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chemo Day 1: Very Little to Report



Well, there I am, all ready to be infused. We arrived at 8:30am, had blood drawn to make sure my levels were still okay to start the chemo, then got started exposing the port. I've seen pictures of other ports that protruded quite a bit. I'm lucky that mine is fairly deep. I can feel the top of it just below my skin, but I swear that when the Steri-strips finally come off, you won't be able to tell it's even there. I was really anxious about the nurses accessing the port. When I was shown the procedure during the orientation last week, I nearly vomited. It seemed like they'd push so hard, and that entire area feels really tender and sore. It wasn't bad. My 5yr old buddy, Sean, who's been through cancer, taught me all about this process the other day using his "chemo duck." You know I cried as this sweet boy explained what they'd do and what it would feel like as he manipulated this sweet stuffed animal duck wearing scrubs with a Velcro port. He even gave me his Lidocaine cream which helped numb the area around the port. Big help, Sean!  Thanks.

I had two great nurses, Tammy and Molly. They were super caring and attentive and didn't even bat an eyelash as I voiced all my anxiety about pain and the port. They even sprayed me twice with that spray that freezes your skin temporarily. Another big help. They had to try twice to get a good spot in the reservoir of the port, but all I felt was a little bit of pressure. Honestly, I was more relieved that I could move my neck from side to side with more ease once the dressing from the initial port surgery was removed.

They started me off with the anti-nausea meds (30 min drip of Emend) and more steroids to help prevent fluid retention and allergic reactions to the last part of my infusion (the Taxotere). The line is flushed between each drip with saline. The first chemo med was the Adriamycin (pictured below in the syringe). It's otherwise known as "The Red Devil" and you can see why. It's really red. They push this part manually and it only takes a few minutes. It's so toxic that they have to add a mat between the iv line and my arm. Fun, huh?!




The Cytoxan was next, dripped for an hour. Uneventful. Doug came to check on me periodically and I made a few phone calls. I watched some of a movie (The Butler), but felt too distracted, so I'll have to finish it up at home today. I met another patient while there and she's great. I'm looking forward to seeing her smiling face again for our next visit. Seems like we're on the same schedule.

The last part was the Taxotere drip, which they infuse slowly at first to test for allergic reaction. I did really well. Another nurse came by when it was time to change the infusion rate, but she didn't get it right. When my other nurses came back into the room, they realized she hadn't ever sped it up, so they did. Right away I started to smell a really strange chemical smell, which they said was just me. My belly felt warm, but nothing else.

After we left (around 2pm - long day), I started to get heartburn. It persisted most of the night. I also started to feel like a cold was coming on; hot, then shivers, sensitive to the touch, tired but restless. No fever though. And Dr. Kotz even called me from home at around 10pm to check and see how I was doing. I'm so impressed with my excellent medical team. Eventually I fell asleep. When I woke up this morning, all I noticed was the heartburn.  And as I write this, I have the hiccups.

I have to go back this morning for the Neulasta shot (stimulates white blood cell production). Doesn't sound like it will hurt after all. It's a sub-cutaneous shot, in the fat, with a tiny needle. No biggie, right?! We are also meeting with my Gynecologist to discuss getting rid of my ovaries, maybe more. I'll keep you posted with developments. Hoping things stay nice and quiet, just the way they are right now.

Thanks to all for the support and encouragement. I'm surrounded by so much love and I know it and feel it everyday!
 

1 comment:

  1. Kara,I am so glad that everything went well for your first chemo treatment. I am praying that the rest of your treatments goe as well. So glad that you made new friends.

    ReplyDelete