Monday, June 29, 2015

Change of plans

Well, I feel pretty stupid. I got all kinds of excited about moving forward with the CRBS in New Orleans. And I thought I had it all figured out. And then came the call about the financials...

You see, I knew that they were out of network, and that there would be some cost above and beyond what insurance covered, but I had NO IDEA it would be so much over and beyond what insurance covered. I'm sure it's worth every penny of the cost, but I'm way too pragmatic. In fact, if I had the nearly $40,000 they charge beyond the $60,000 the insurance company would pay, I'd be using that money to design and build my breast cancer information website. So, New Orleans is out.

I'll admit, it was a pretty hard blow. I cried my eyes out for a few hours, and moped for a few more. I was really focused on getting the best care for my revision. But, it's clearly time to take the blinders off, broaden the scope of my search, and find the best care within network, instead. I made an appointment for late July to revisit Dr. Zenn at Duke Cancer Center. He's one of a few surgeons in NC that performs the microsurgery techniques I'd need for the type of revision I want. I consulted with Dr. Zenn before my implant exchange surgery, but chose to stay put because it was easier. I'm interested to hear what he has to say about my reconstruction, and to find out what he recommends and if he is willing to do the revision for me. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I move forward. I'm really in need of some clarity and resolution here.

Also, I realized that I haven't mentioned in the blog what I am doing with the website and fund-raising. I've posted it to the Brave Like a Tree Facebook page, and explained my goals on the www.bravelikeatree.com website, but not here (strangely enough).  Just so you know, I am selling bracelets (and key chains) to raise money for a non-profit website and organization that will address the gaps in information for people in the breast cancer community. The first run of the bracelets sold out quickly, but I have more in stock now, and have added the key chain as well. This is a huge undertaking and will take time, but I am determined to make the best use of the knowledge I gained from this experience to help others avoid some of the pitfalls and difficulties I faced during treatment. Thank you, in advance, for supporting me in this endeavor, and thanks to those who already have!

No comments:

Post a Comment